Tuesday, January 8, 2013

DIY Cotton Rounds

Hello lovelies! So, before we get too far into this let me warn you. This is my first crochet tutorial. I am so guilty of just making things up as I go and I can never follow patterns correctly. Clearly, it works out for me most of the time. (: But I tried to get this as accurate as possible, it's really pretty easy. Please let me know if you find anything confusing or any mistakes. If you're anything like me, you use way too many cotton balls or pads to remove eye makeup. Now, I know what you're thinking. "Amanda, cotton balls aren't very expensive. Plus cotton is a renewable resours, mostly." Okay, you're right. But wouldn't it be great if you could just throw them in the washer and have new ones in a couple of hours? I thought so too. (: This idea isn't completely mine, I originally saw a puff-stitch version on Pinterest. While those are so much cuter, I like my version because I feel like it exfoliates a little more and I think, over time, they'll hold their shape better than a looser stitch would. Anyway, let's get started, you'll need some cotton yarn (any color your heart desires), corresponding hook, and a pair of scissors. That's it, really!
You're going to start with a magic circle OR however you prefer to start your round. You just need to end up with 10 stitches in your first round. If you're following me, make your magic circle and chain two, make 9 half double crochets and pull to close.
Still there? I hope so. Now you can crochet this in rounds if you'd like, I made these in a continuous round. That just means instead of joining that 10th stitch you're going to make a half-double crochet in the next space. Half-double crochet in each space until you've reached the space where you would join, which will be at 20 stitches.
Smudged nail polish helps you crochet better.
In the next space you'll do 2 HDC, next space do 1 HDC. Repeat until you've done 30 stitches. Skip one space and slipstich into the next. Weave in ends and you've finished one cotton pad!
I hope this wasn't terribly confusing, if you have any questions feel free to ask. Don't know how to crochet but still want some awesome little scrubbies? They're now available in my shop. Have a great day and enjoy!If you have any suggestions on what we should make next feel free to leave me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment